View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:12 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2006
Default User Logins - Restricting Buttons/Forms

Hello:

I am creating a mutli-user database and need help with controlling access to forms and buttons based on the user's profile. First of all, I am not using the built-in security wizard (mdw). I'd prefer not to mess with it. This is a pretty simmple database and I'm not worried about anyone hacking into it.

I have a table (tblEmployees) with three fields: [LoginName], [Password], and [AceesLevel]. When launched, the user enters in their LoginName (via combo-box) and enters their password which gives them access to the database.

Here is what I am attempting:

I would like to restrict certain forms and buttons depending on the AccessLevel (admin, user, viewer)assigned to the user logging in (as per the tblEmployees.AccessLevel). I've been able to do that based on their LoginName, but I'd rather base it on the three (or possibly more) levels, but not for an infinite number of LoginNames. Admin would have full access; User would have everything but Admin privileges, and Viewer can just view.

Specifically, I want to create an "Employee Profile" form that will let the logged in user edit their profile information (password, extension, etc), but not view any other's, and of course Admin can view and edit them all.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

jwmonroe