A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

read only problem

Old March 15th, 2011, 04:00 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011
Default read only problem

occasionally, for no reason I can see, word docs that I'm working on and saved turn up as read-only. The instructions say to "change attribute," but the attribute doesn't respond to being changed. I work by myself, and rarely --very rarely -- have I wanted to keep something read only. The only way I get around this is to copy the doc and generate a new one.

Will appreciate help.
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3weekend View Post
occasionally, for no reason I can see, word docs that I'm working on and saved turn up as read-only. The instructions say to "change attribute," but the attribute doesn't respond to being changed. I work by myself, and rarely --very rarely -- have I wanted to keep something read only. The only way I get around this is to copy the doc and generate a new one.

Will appreciate help.
This can be caused by several things. A couple I can think of off-hand to check out a
1. Word (and other MS Office apps, but mainly Word) create temporary files when you open a document. These files are used for various things, one of them being controlling if somebody already has the document open, and appear in the same directory as the original document and always start with a ~ character. Word is notoriously bad at cleaning these up. When you have all of your documents closed, do a search for files beginning with a ~ and delete them all.
2. Where you are saving the files may be marked as Read-Only, and therefore assigning this attribute to your documents. To check this, in Explorer right-click on the folder you are saving into, and select Properties. On the General tab, under Attributes, the Read Only checkbox should be un-ticked.
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarquinious View Post
This can be caused by several things. A couple I can think of off-hand to check out a
1. Word (and other MS Office apps, but mainly Word) create temporary files when you open a document. These files are used for various things, one of them being controlling if somebody already has the document open, and appear in the same directory as the original document and always start with a ~ character. Word is notoriously bad at cleaning these up. When you have all of your documents closed, do a search for files beginning with a ~ and delete them all.
2. Where you are saving the files may be marked as Read-Only, and therefore assigning this attribute to your documents. To check this, in Explorer right-click on the folder you are saving into, and select Properties. On the General tab, under Attributes, the Read Only checkbox should be un-ticked.

The word document is made read only for the security reasons, when your document is a read only file then its content can not be changed by anyone.Changed can be made only by copy the file to other location. You can make your document read only by recommended the read only box checked.