A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Outlook 2003 pop3 downloading more than once

Old June 16th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Ken Almond
external usenet poster

Default Outlook 2003 pop3 downloading more than once

Outlook 2003 is downloading all mail at pop3 site each time it starts - it doesn't remember where it left off unless you leave it running 24/7. I run 'delete from server after 1 day' because I have multiple Outlook 2003 clients and they each need to get their copy before deletion. This is really serious because with spam I routinely get 7,000 email per day now and its climbing. So with minimum of 1 day 'delete from server' I have 7,000 emails to read at any given time - i.e. each time Outlook 2003 starts (like when you have to reboot for a security patch) it re-reads from scratch!!!

I used to routinely copy Outlook 2000 *.pst files from main machine to laptop, start it up and it 'retained is memory' of what it had downloaded - work offsite for day - come home and copy *.pst back to main machine etc. Outlook 2000 worked great! but of course it couldn't filter spam.

So I upgraded to Outlook 2003 and spam filtering is a relief but it has regressed as far as remembering what it has downloaded when its off.

What's the magic to get it to remember!!!!!!!???????? Why did this simple feature regress from 2000?

No I cannot run other configurations (i.e. exchange server etc). Working 'offline' had no affect - in fact seems like a red-herring (i.e. noop) for stand-alone pop3 internet client situation.