A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Table of Contents - page numbering problem

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Suzan
external usenet poster

Default Table of Contents - page numbering problem

Word 2003 -
The report has the following:
physical page 1 - cover page
physical page 2 - TOC
physical page 3 - Executive Summary

Pages 1 is in section one; Page 2 is in section 2 and 3 (section break continuous to allow us to add info under the TOC). The section break is to have no header on the Executive Summary but a header on the remaining pages. That header - which start on physical page four - says page 2, like we want it too.

Here's the problem: the boss wants the Executive Summary to show up in the TOC as page 1. It wants to show up as page 2. The only way I got it to work was to tell the system to start that page on page 0. We are going to be doing lots of reports with the same format and this problem. I need to know if there is a better way than this since I don't understand why this works.

Any light you can shed would be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?U3V6YW4=?=,

You show us the physical pages, but not what the numbering should be on the physical
pages. You also don't mention in which section the Executive Summary is. I'm also not
clear on whether the boss expects this page number to be different from the number
appearing in the TOC?

And is there a really good reason why you use a continuous section break within the TOC
page? You can add stuff under a TOC without putting it in a separate section...

Word 2003 -
The report has the following:
physical page 1 - cover page
physical page 2 - TOC
physical page 3 - Executive Summary

Pages 1 is in section one; Page 2 is in section 2 and 3 (section break continuous to

allow us to add info under the TOC). The section break is to have no header on the
Executive Summary but a header on the remaining pages. That header - which start on
physical page four - says page 2, like we want it too.

Here's the problem: the boss wants the Executive Summary to show up in the TOC as page

1. It wants to show up as page 2. The only way I got it to work was to tell the system
to start that page on page 0. We are going to be doing lots of reports with the same
format and this problem. I need to know if there is a better way than this since I don't
understand why this works.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 1st, 2004, 02:41 PM
Suzan
external usenet poster

Your questions made me go back and revisit the section breaks that were in there. I took out the section break cont. under the TOC, put a section break next page, different header on first page, after the additional info under the TOC and that seemed to do the trick. I didn't do the original so I'm not sure what the rational is for some of the section breaks. (I think there's a training issue involved here)

If we do the TOC first and then add the information under it, will it stay out of the TOC when it is F9'd later? Since I modified it after the fact, I'm not sure what happens if you create it that way from scratch. Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?U3V6YW4=?=,

Your questions made me go back and revisit the section breaks that were in there. I took

out the section break cont. under the TOC, put a section break next page, different header
on first page, after the additional info under the TOC and that seemed to do the trick. I
didn't do the original so I'm not sure what the rational is for some of the section
breaks. (I think there's a training issue involved here)

If we do the TOC first and then add the information under it, will it stay out of the

TOC when it is F9'd later? Since I modified it after the fact, I'm not sure what happens
if you create it that way from scratch.

What appears in the TOC depends on how the TOC is defined (styles? TC fields? outline
levels?), and what is used in that "information under it". Since I have no idea, I can't
give you an answer :-)

Note that, as soon as one starts to mess with section breaks, a document could pick up
some damage. t'ain't necessarily so, but the possibility exists; section breaks are
fragile things...

You might want to take a minute to set up a new document with the correct margins, then
copy the content over section by section - leaving the section breaks and last paragraph
mark behind. This means you'll also need to recreate the headers and footers and other
section-specific elements. But the time spent now could save you from nasty, and
expensive, surprises later on :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM
Suzan
external usenet poster

I pretty much did what you recommended and the report looks fine now. I also set up a procedure for fixing the two he is working on now and another procedure for how to do it all from scratch. I'm not sure who formatted the reports or told him how to do it but - I think we're okay until the next emergency. Thanks for all your help!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?U3V6YW4=?=,

the report looks fine now. I also set up a procedure for fixing the two he is working on now and another procedure for how to do it all from scratch.

good! Glad everything is up and running :-)

Cindy Meister