A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » Database Design
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Patients and their prescriptions database

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:21 AM
Kirk
external usenet poster

Default Patients and their prescriptions database

What we have is the following.

A person comes in with a list of medications they need to take. It can be from one, up to around 13 to 15, depending on the person.

The same person can have one doctor, or multiple doctors, but usually one doctor.

We fill out an application for each medicine (prescription or script). Regardless if they have multiple medicines from the same company.

We gather the paperwork, send it to the Dr for signature, receive the paperwork back from the Dr. and send it to the pharmaceutical company.

The problem come in here. After the initial order, the person comes back in when their medication runs out. Either in 30, 60, or 90 days. Then we do a re-order for the person.

How do I keep a history of what we have done for the person?

And for each medicine?

I would like to grow the database in the future to include the pharmaceutical companies and their respective medicines.

I would also like to have the system tell me when a persons medication is about to run out, so that we can reorder it and the person does not have to go without medicine, which they have to do now.

We also have to track the following:

The date the person originally came in and joined
The date we originally received a prescription
The date we processed the prescription and did the paper work
The date we sent the paper work to the Dr for signature
The date we received the paper work from the Dr with his signature
The date we send the paper work to the pharmaceutical company
The date the medicine comes in
The date we contact the person that their medicine is in and available to be picked up.

Any help and or guidance would be very greatly appreciated, and help us to help many other people that would not normally get the medicines they need to live.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk Rotramel
P.A.L.S. - Prescription Assistance League Service
Patient Advocate

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Pavel Romashkin
external usenet poster

Default Patients and their prescriptions database

Do you already have anything in place, or are you going to make a new
database for it? My reason for asking is, if you already have something,
you will want to keep (at least the data from) what you have. If you are
doing a "clean install", you can design it properly form the ground up.
Depending on this, db structure would differ.
Good luck,
Pavel

Kirk wrote:

What we have is the following.

A person comes in with a list of medications they need to take. It can be from one, up to around 13 to 15, depending on the person.

The same person can have one doctor, or multiple doctors, but usually one doctor.

We fill out an application for each medicine (prescription or script). Regardless if they have multiple medicines from the same company.

We gather the paperwork, send it to the Dr for signature, receive the paperwork back from the Dr. and send it to the pharmaceutical company.

The problem come in here. After the initial order, the person comes back in when their medication runs out. Either in 30, 60, or 90 days. Then we do a re-order for the person.

How do I keep a history of what we have done for the person?

And for each medicine?

I would like to grow the database in the future to include the pharmaceutical companies and their respective medicines.

I would also like to have the system tell me when a persons medication is about to run out, so that we can reorder it and the person does not have to go without medicine, which they have to do now.

We also have to track the following:

The date the person originally came in and joined
The date we originally received a prescription
The date we processed the prescription and did the paper work
The date we sent the paper work to the Dr for signature
The date we received the paper work from the Dr with his signature
The date we send the paper work to the pharmaceutical company
The date the medicine comes in
The date we contact the person that their medicine is in and available to be picked up.

Any help and or guidance would be very greatly appreciated, and help us to help many other people that would not normally get the medicines they need to live.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk Rotramel
P.A.L.S. - Prescription Assistance League Service
Patient Advocate