A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Auto fill criteria/questions on filling formulas down

Old July 19th, 2004, 08:18 PM
JAnderson
external usenet poster

Default Auto fill criteria/questions on filling formulas down

I am aware of all the basic features of the fill handle- filling down, auto fill, dragging, absolute/relative references, etc.

My question refers to what happens when I double-click on the fill handle. Typically, it fills the formula down until the bottom of my table (this is what I WANT to happen).

Every now and then, in different workbooks, I will double-click the fill handle and it will behave differently. Sometimes it will fill a few cells down, sometimes it will do nothing at all. I want it to fill to the bottom of my table every time so that I can make a macro for it (as I have done with other templates that I use).

Why won't the fill handle behave the same way? Does it have to do with the column headings? None of my neighboring cells have anything strange in them (not even any functions), and all the cells that I want to fill to are blank.

I've tried searching the online help files, but there is no information about this phenomenon- anyone know anything about this???!

Thanks!
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:26 PM
JAnderson
external usenet poster

I have been informed that double-clicking the fill handle will fill data down to the end of my table, providing that EVERY column in my table contains data.

I realized that the columns adjacent to the one I want to fill down have a few cells that deliberately have no data. Thus, filling down does not work in this instance. Can I key this fill procedure off a different column? It's not feasible in my table to rearrange the data to bring other columns next to this one....

Thanks!

"JAnderson" wrote:

I am aware of all the basic features of the fill handle- filling down, auto fill, dragging, absolute/relative references, etc.

My question refers to what happens when I double-click on the fill handle. Typically, it fills the formula down until the bottom of my table (this is what I WANT to happen).

Every now and then, in different workbooks, I will double-click the fill handle and it will behave differently. Sometimes it will fill a few cells down, sometimes it will do nothing at all. I want it to fill to the bottom of my table every time so that I can make a macro for it (as I have done with other templates that I use).

Why won't the fill handle behave the same way? Does it have to do with the column headings? None of my neighboring cells have anything strange in them (not even any functions), and all the cells that I want to fill to are blank.

I've tried searching the online help files, but there is no information about this phenomenon- anyone know anything about this???!

Thanks!

Old July 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Bernie Deitrick
external usenet poster

J,

This example fills based on the activecell, matching length based on column
A: you can change Activecell to any valid cell.

Sub FillToMatchColumnA()
ActiveCell.AutoFill Destination:=Range(ActiveCell, _
ActiveCell.Offset(Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row - ActiveCell.Row, 0))
End Sub

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"JAnderson" wrote in message
I am aware of all the basic features of the fill handle- filling down,

auto fill, dragging, absolute/relative references, etc.

My question refers to what happens when I double-click on the fill handle.

Typically, it fills the formula down until the bottom of my table (this is
what I WANT to happen).

Every now and then, in different workbooks, I will double-click the fill

handle and it will behave differently. Sometimes it will fill a few cells
down, sometimes it will do nothing at all. I want it to fill to the bottom
of my table every time so that I can make a macro for it (as I have done
with other templates that I use).

Why won't the fill handle behave the same way? Does it have to do with

the column headings? None of my neighboring cells have anything strange in
them (not even any functions), and all the cells that I want to fill to are
blank.

I've tried searching the online help files, but there is no information

about this phenomenon- anyone know anything about this???!

Thanks!