A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Can't Create MDE

Old March 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Hatman
external usenet poster

Default Can't Create MDE

I have an Access2K DB that won't let me create an MDE.
I't seems to be something to do with the forms but can't figure out what.
1.. I have reloaded Office from scratch.
2.. I have imported all the objects into a New DB.
3.. I have exported all the objects to Text files & then imported them into another New DB.
I have tried to create an MDE after EACH of the above prsocesses to no avail.

When I start to delete Forms individually, Then at some point it allows me to create a MDE.
But it's not related to that last form that I deleted, because if I start over,
it won't let create an MDE until I've deleted some OTHER form. In other words i'ts random.
I have also done a "Compact & Repair" umpteen times!

Can anyone offer some help please?

Old March 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Jeff Conrad
external usenet poster

Four possibilities come to mind:

1. There may be coding errors in your database. The database cannot be converted to an MDE file if
there are any coding errors. Open any code module and, from the VBA menu, select Debug, then
Compile. If there are any errors, you will see an error message and the problem line of code will be
highlighted. You will need to correct any problems the compiler finds. Continue compiling until the
compile process completes with no error messages at all. Then try making an MDE file from the
database. Always keep lots of backup copies of the original MDB file.

2. If you are using Access 2002 or 2003, the default database format is Access 2000 unless you have
changed this. Unfortunately, if you use the Access 2000 database format in Access 2002 or 2003, you
cannot create an MDE. You may only create an MDE of an Access 2000-format database using Access
2000. So to make a 2002 MDE file, you must convert it to 2002 format and use 2002 to make the MDE
file. The same is true for 2003: you need to convert the file to 2003 format and use 2003 to make an
MDE in 2003 format.

3. See this link for another possibility:
ACC2002: Error Message: "Microsoft Access Was Unable to Create an MDE Database"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289686

4. Using methods of the DbEngine object without explicitly providing the DbEngine qualifier. For
example: OpenDatabase(...) instead of DbEngine.OpenDatabase(...). This can lead to strange DAO
licencing & other errors, including the inability to create an MDE.
(From a post by TC)

Here is some more info which may help:
Check the "Can't make an MDE!" checklist on the following Web page to help
you determine why you can't create the MDE database:

http://www.Access.QBuilt.com/html/conversion.html

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Hatman" wrote in message

I have an Access2K DB that won't let me create an MDE.
I't seems to be something to do with the forms but can't figure out what.
I have reloaded Office from scratch.
I have imported all the objects into a New DB.
I have exported all the objects to Text files & then imported them into another New DB.
I have tried to create an MDE after EACH of the above prsocesses to no avail.

When I start to delete Forms individually, Then at some point it allows me to create a MDE.
But it's not related to that last form that I deleted, because if I start over,
it won't let create an MDE until I've deleted some OTHER form. In other words i'ts random.
I have also done a "Compact & Repair" umpteen times!

Can anyone offer some help please?