A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Powerpoint, Publisher and Visio » Powerpoint
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Link frm pres 1 to slide in pres 2 breaks when slide added in 2

Old June 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
brmauer
external usenet poster

Default Link frm pres 1 to slide in pres 2 breaks when slide added in 2

I am using powerpoint 2003.

I created presentation 1 and hyperlinked to a specific slide in presentation 2 (say slide 3). It worked fine until I added a slide before slide 3 in presentation 2 (which pushed slide 3 down to slide 4).

My understanding is Powerpoint uses the unique slideid (unique number that's read only and can't change) to track slides not the slideindex (number of where the slide is located and will change when the slide is moved).

If this is true, then the hyperlink would not break.

Otherwise, anytime you add slides to a briefing you are hyperlinking to then hyperlinks will start pointing to the wrong slides.

When I created the hyperlink, I used two techniques. One was to right click on the object and use the action settings to create the hyperlink. The other method was to right click on the object and select the hyperlink option. Both produced the same results.

My questions:

1) Does powerpoint use the slideid when creating hyperlinks to track slides?

2) If it does, what could be causing mine to break?