A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Contacts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Public Folder for Contacts vs Global Address List

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Kimberly
external usenet poster

Default Public Folder for Contacts vs Global Address List

Hey there Techies,
I'm attempting to set up an office contact list... I've created a contacts folder in public folders and made it visible in the address book...
However, How is this method different than using the Global Address Book or a public address book? I understand users of the active directory are listed in the global address book... how do i get contacts into the global address book or another address book to make that available off line?
Which method is better for sharing company contacts? Public Folder Contacts or Address Book? Can a contact folder be imported into a public address book?

In other words... what's the best way to creat and manage group contacts in an Exchange 2003 on Windows Small Biz 2003 enterprise edition with clients all using windows Xp with Outlook 2003? And How do you get contacts onto the global address list...

Thanks, Kimberly
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]
external usenet poster

In a public folder:

-- You can assign one or more users to maintain the list.

-- Users can decide for themselves whether to display the PF contacts in their address book.

-- Users can use the PF information as the source for a mail merge.

-- Users can add the PF to their Public Folders\Favorites hierarchy and set up the folder for offline use.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx

"Kimberly" wrote:

Hey there Techies,
I'm attempting to set up an office contact list... I've created a contacts folder in public folders and made it visible in the address book...
However, How is this method different than using the Global Address Book or a public address book? I understand users of the active directory are listed in the global address book... how do i get contacts into the global address book or another address book to make that available off line?
Which method is better for sharing company contacts? Public Folder Contacts or Address Book? Can a contact folder be imported into a public address book?

In other words... what's the best way to creat and manage group contacts in an Exchange 2003 on Windows Small Biz 2003 enterprise edition with clients all using windows Xp with Outlook 2003? And How do you get contacts onto the global address list...

Thanks, Kimberly

Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Kimberly
external usenet poster

Thanks!
I'll go with Public Folders... How do I set up the PF allready added to Favorites for off line use? does adding it to favorites automatically make it available offline?

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

In a public folder:

-- Users can decide for themselves whether to display the PF contacts in their address book.

-- Users can add the PF to their Public Folders\Favorites hierarchy and set up the folder for offline use.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Kimberly" wrote:

Hey there Techies,

Thanks, Kimberly

Old June 22nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]
external usenet poster

In Outlook 2003, you set up synchronization in the Send/Receive group settings, on the Tools menu.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

"Kimberly" wrote:

Thanks!
I'll go with Public Folders... How do I set up the PF allready added to Favorites for off line use? does adding it to favorites automatically make it available offline?

"Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

In a public folder:

"Kimberly" wrote:

Hey there Techies,

Thanks, Kimberly