A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Spell Check language change problem

Old June 8th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Jackie
external usenet poster

Default Spell Check language change problem

Does anyone know why spell check and grammer check switch from US English to French every now and then. It's very hard to change it back when this happens.
I have read other postings along this line and none have helped. The style of the text is set to US English, the language for spell checking is set to US English, everything on the system is set to US English, but sometimes, not always, only sometimes, in the middle of editing a document using a template that I use all the time without trouble, the spell check cahnges to French. I can change the spell check language back to US English but the grammar check sticks with french. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Another document created with the same template, using the same fonts and styles, works fine.

This has happened to me regularly over the years. It happened with Office 97 and now with Office 2000. I am losing hours of work time because I have to start over from scratch when this happens.

Please help.

-Jackie

Old June 9th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2ll?=,

Does anyone know why spell check and grammer check switch from US English to French every

now and then. It's very hard to change it back when this happens.

Have you read the article on language formatting in Word in the Tips section of my website?

If autolanguage detection isn't on, then you might inadvertently be pressing Shift+Alt to
switch keyboard languages. If you never or only rarely need French, however, you should
disable this keyboard trigger, at the very least. Or even remove French as an "input
language".

If you need more help, you should tell us exactly which version of Word and of Windows
you're using. But first read that article :-)

I have read other postings along this line and none have helped. The style of the text is

set to US English, the language for spell checking is set to US English, everything on the
system is set to US English, but sometimes, not always, only sometimes, in the middle of
editing a document using a template that I use all the time without trouble, the spell
check cahnges to French. I can change the spell check language back to US English but the
grammar check sticks with french. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Another document
created with the same template, using the same fonts and styles, works fine.

This has happened to me regularly over the years. It happened with Office 97 and now with

Office 2000. I am losing hours of work time because I have to start over from scratch when
this happens.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Sep 30 2003)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 9th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Jackie
external usenet poster

When I go to your website I follow to the prompts to
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...htm#LangFormat

and then I cannot read anything but the headers. Everything else shows as unprintable characters or shapes. I'm guessing you are using a font I don't have??? I am using internet explorer 6.0, running windows 2000 service pack 4.

As for my Word version, it's Word 2000 (version 9.0 build 3821 - service pack 1)

I never use French. I don't know where autolanguage detection is set. can't check it. Pressing Shift+Alt doesn't change my keyboard language. My keyboard doesn't type french characters, it's only spell check and grammer check that change to French. I have never used French for anything on this computer, never had a french document. I have had some emails that were written in Dutch, but that's the only other language that has ever been displayed here, and I don't use word to read my email.

I would love to read your article, any advice on how I can?

Thanks.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2ll?=,

Does anyone know why spell check and grammer check switch from US English to French every

now and then. It's very hard to change it back when this happens.

Have you read the article on language formatting in Word in the Tips section of my website?

If autolanguage detection isn't on, then you might inadvertently be pressing Shift+Alt to
switch keyboard languages. If you never or only rarely need French, however, you should
disable this keyboard trigger, at the very least. Or even remove French as an "input
language".

If you need more help, you should tell us exactly which version of Word and of Windows
you're using. But first read that article :-)

I have read other postings along this line and none have helped. The style of the text is

set to US English, the language for spell checking is set to US English, everything on the
system is set to US English, but sometimes, not always, only sometimes, in the middle of
editing a document using a template that I use all the time without trouble, the spell
check cahnges to French. I can change the spell check language back to US English but the
grammar check sticks with french. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Another document
created with the same template, using the same fonts and styles, works fine.

This has happened to me regularly over the years. It happened with Office 97 and now with

Office 2000. I am losing hours of work time because I have to start over from scratch when
this happens.

Cindy Meister

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the

Old June 10th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?SmFja2ll?=,

When I go to your website I follow to the prompts to
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...htm#LangFormat

and then I cannot read anything but the headers. Everything else shows as unprintable

characters or shapes. I'm guessing you are using a font I don't have??? I am using
internet explorer 6.0, running windows 2000 service pack 4.

Strange. I point people to the article all the time, and never hear any complaints.
Except for one, a long time ago. Turns out that person wasn't set up to support style
sheets?

I certainly don't specify a font name in the style sheet for the "body"; just the family
"serif" so that it should use what's set in your browser.

Try right-clicking the page, then "View Source". Run a find-replace to remove
class="body" from p class="body". Do a file/save as to your local drive, then
double-click this to open it in IE. Can you see those paragraphs, now?

Cindy Meister