|If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.|
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial - please read before posting - April
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - unofficial
This FAQ is posted weekly.- more or less
Please save yourself some time by reading it before posting to the
--- BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING PLEASE READ THESE ---
Reading these articles will help you get a quick and meaningful
response to your question rather than just more questions for you.
It may keep your message from being screened or bounced.
A few basics, in case you decide you can skip that article:
(1) Be nice; everyone answering questions here is a volunteer.
(2) Post a question in only one newsgroup generally. If you
_have to_ post in more than one, post a _single_ message and
put both newsgroups in the header for that _single_ message.
(3) Do not attach anything to a message.
(4) The only really stupid question is the one you don't ask.
(5) Do not use your real email address unless you enjoy spam. (See
bottom for sample.)
The reasons for the requests are spelled out on the web pages.
A longer version of this FAQ is also on the Internet at
MVPs FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word/
Also, before posting, you might want to look at the following
questions to see if yours is among them.
1. How can I change the default font from Times Roman New 10pt to
2. Page X of Y doesn't work! (You're right, it doesn't!)
3. How do I insert a date? Why does it (not) change when I
re-open the document?
4. How can I use calculated dates in Word?
5. How can I get a different header/footer on the second (and
6. What are some good books for me to read about Word?
7. How can I best use the Master Document feature?
8. Word 2K - How can I keep Word from opening separately for
9. Where can I find more information on the Web?
10. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& paperclip?
11. How can I get rid of that ^$#*@& web toolbar?
12. Why doesn't Word's Fonts list show all of the fonts I
have installed in Windows?
13. What are some basic tips for someone who is converting
from Word Perfect?
14. How do I use (What is?) the Work menu?
15. What are some common errors people make with Word?
16. How can I print a booklet?
17. How can I get a template to show up under a tab with
File = New?
What are templates? Global templates? Document templates?
18. I need to make a form to...
If you want a fill-in-the-blanks form you want what Word
calls an online form. Look in help for that and then follow
the links at:
especially Dian Chapman's series of articles
If you want a custom dialog box that you code with VBA
commands you want a UserForm. Take a look at:
19. Where can I find a good tutorial?
20. What is an MVP?
21. I keep getting insufficient memory errors...
22. All my menus / toolbars have disappeared! Help.
23. When I try to delete I have to confirm it.
Tools = Options = General -- uncheck the two Word Perfect
24. I lost my CD Key, disks, etc. and can't reinstall with out it.
If Word came with your computer contact the manufacturer. If
you got it separately, contact Microsoft.
25. I'm having trouble with automatic numbering! There's more to
this than meets the eye.
26. I am asked if I want to save changes to the global template
every time I quit Word.
27. My blank document has text in it - an old letter, etc. See
There are more questions than will fit here. For more questions
and answers, take a look at:
Comments / corrections / additions may be sent to
mailto: . Change the address by
taking out nospam.
Posted 26 April 2004
Charles Kenyon, editor