A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Chapter Misery

Old March 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011
Default Chapter Misery

I am trying to use chapter numbering and need to put the chapter numbering into "Heading 4". This is because I do not want the chapter numbers to appear in the table of contents because they are not real chapter numbers but rather are document section numbers that need to appear in the page numbering in the footers. Could someone please show me how to do this. The Word help is at best cryptic and infers that chapter numbers must be in "Heading 1". Please do not suggest using section numbers because they are not usable simply because I cannot control their numbering and there are sections prior to the first document section which means that even if I could force the numbering to always be sequential the first document section would not be 1. I am using Word 2007.

ps. office frustration is a great name for this forum because Word is a most frustrating product.

Last edited by Future : March 11th, 2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

I have given up trying to set up things that way I want them. Instead I have accepted that chapter numbers have to be in h1 and am trying to work with this. I have put chapter numbers at the beginning of each of my document sections by inserting a blank line and then clicking on h1. I then went back and inserted section breaks so that I could get the page numbering set up. I had already set up page numbering to insert the chapter numbers and for the most part this works once I unlink the footers. Now I have a new problem. For each section the chapter numbers in the page numbering are correct with the exception of the first chapter. The first chapter is actually in the third section and the chapter number at the top of the page is correct (that is it shows as Chapter 1) but he page numbering in the footer displays 2-1. That is it thinks it is chapter 2. The table of contents also displays this page as 2-1.

Can anyone help me here? I have tried everything I can think of and am unable to fix this. Even if I manually type in the page number as 1-1 the table of contents still shows 2-1.

Frankly I am getting frustrated beyond belief.