A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

ODBC error exporting contacts to Excel

Old January 14th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Vin Fichter via OfficeKB.com
external usenet poster

Default ODBC error exporting contacts to Excel

I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 and Microsoft Excel 2003 (both are part of Microsoft Office 2003) with the Microsoft XP Pro operating system. I created a special "Folder" containing only those particular Contacts from Outlook I wanted to export to an Excel spreadsheet. Here are the steps I followed to do the export, as instructed by Microsoft's Support pages: In Outlook I clicked on "File"; then "Import and Export"; then "Export to a file"; then "Next"; then in the folder list clicked on the name of the special Contacts folder I had created to export; then clicked "Next"; then browsed to the folder location in which to save the exported ".xls" file; then typed the name for that file, then clicked "OK", then clicked "Next"; then clicked "Map Custom Fields"; then dragged, from the left side box to the right side box, those fields I wanted to export into the .xls spreadsheet file (a total of only 12 fields end up on the right side); then clicked "Finish". The exporting starts, but in just a few seconds the following message appears on screen and the hour glass appears continuously: "Translation Error. An ODBC error has occurred in the Microsoft Excel translator while sending field map information to a translator. [Microsoft] [ODBC Excel Driver] Too many fields defined." This is puzzling for, so I am informed by a very knowledgeable-computer programmer friend, it should be able to export that many fields, and more, without a problem. I have experimented: the largest number of fields which will export successfully without the error message appearing is 7. I have searched the Microsoft support databases for this but it is not there. Is there any way to either fix, or do a work-around for, this problem so I can export more than only 7 fields of information to create an Excel spreadsheet file? Thank you.

--
Message posted via http://www.officekb.com