A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Office » General Discussions
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Importing/Export of Corrupted Excel File

Old June 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Zens7s
external usenet poster

Default Importing/Export of Corrupted Excel File

We retrieved a file from a backup system that was originally created in Excel 2000. When we attempt to open the file we recieve an error in opening, the file itself is corrupted and claims it cannot be accessed.

However, to try and save the data I tried to import the values in the file by opening the .xls in notepad, then re-importing them into Excel. It works, and gets around the error in opening the file...but ONLY for the first page in the workbook.

The only problem is that I cannot think how to get to the other sheets in the original Excel worksheet. I tried importing straight from Access and drilling back to the excel file, but it doesn't work. Anything that tries to launch excel will give that connectivity error. I think this is why Notepad successfully pulled Sheet 1. It was just grabbing the raw data and that is all we need.

1) Does anyone know a way to force a program besides Excel to data dump without launching the program for ALL the sheets in a workbook?
2) If not the above, any ideas of the best Excel sheet recovery software you have used?
--
Thank You,
Zen 7s
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Beth Melton
external usenet poster

Default Importing/Export of Corrupted Excel File

If you are using Excel 2002 or 2003 you might try the "Open and Repair" command found in the File/Open dialog box under the Open drop down. If you can open the workbook in Notepad then there is a good chance it can be repaired by the application.
--
Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup. Email requests for assistance can not be acknowledged.

~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
TechTrax: http://mousetrax.com/techtrax/

"Zens7s" wrote:

We retrieved a file from a backup system that was originally created in Excel 2000. When we attempt to open the file we recieve an error in opening, the file itself is corrupted and claims it cannot be accessed.

However, to try and save the data I tried to import the values in the file by opening the .xls in notepad, then re-importing them into Excel. It works, and gets around the error in opening the file...but ONLY for the first page in the workbook.

The only problem is that I cannot think how to get to the other sheets in the original Excel worksheet. I tried importing straight from Access and drilling back to the excel file, but it doesn't work. Anything that tries to launch excel will give that connectivity error. I think this is why Notepad successfully pulled Sheet 1. It was just grabbing the raw data and that is all we need.

1) Does anyone know a way to force a program besides Excel to data dump without launching the program for ALL the sheets in a workbook?
2) If not the above, any ideas of the best Excel sheet recovery software you have used?
--
Thank You,
Zen 7s