A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Filtering data in three columns based on the content of two other columns

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:41 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Sep 2010
Default Filtering data in three columns based on the content of two other columns

Hey all,

Basically, I have a last, first, and initial in column A, B, C respectively - a list of 1000. Then I have last, first in column D, E respectively - a list of 200. The idea is to get the first and last name that match between A/B and D/E into their own column. So in Column F, I use this:
Code:
=D1&" "&E1
I then manually drag the bottom right corner of cell down 200 rows so that formula concatenates the first and last name for all 200 rows.

Then in Column G, I use this:
Code:
=A1&" "&B1
I then manually drag the bottom right corner of cell down 1000 rows so that formula concatenates the first and last name for all 1000 rows - hence all first and last names of column A and B are now concatenated in column G.

Now I want to compare column F and G and whichever first and last names match, then I want the matching first name, last name, and middle initial of column A, B, C to be in their own new columns.
So in column H, I do this:
Code:
=INDEX($A$1:$C$1000,MATCH($F1:$F200:$G1:$G1000,0))
This line of code, rather than returning the matching criteria in column H, gives a #VALUE! in the very first cell.

Thanks for any response.