A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Contacts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Sorting by categories problem

Old July 28th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Judy
external usenet poster

Default Sorting by categories problem

Windows XP, Exchange, Outlook 2003....

I have well over 700 contacts in OL2003 (so far). When I do View/Arrange By/Categories it shows multiple categories in some of the sort and single categories (as it should) in others. Example: I have categories A, B, C,(etc). It will sort some by A alone, B alone, C alone however some of the sorts have combinations of A & B together or A & C or A, B & C together in the sort. In other words it is not showing 'all' of the A categories alone together. There will be a group of A & B below it.

FYI - The sort groups that are showing only one category DO have multiple categories within their individual contact screens so it is not as if there is a pattern that I can tell why the sort is showing some with single categories and some with multiple categories in the sort. (I hope this makes sense)

Also, when I go into View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current View/Filter/More Choices and ask for only one category it brings up multiple categories that are not asked for. Example: I have a category called 'Directory' and another category called 'Directory Contact'. I go to View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current View/Filter/More Choices and choose 'Directory Contact' only. It pulls up the 'Directory Contact' contacts, however it also pulls up 'some' of the 'Directory' category contacts in the list also. None of the 'Directory' only contacts that are coming up in the list have the 'Directory Contact' category checked in their categories list. I have made sure that I check 'clear all' prior to running the filters.

I also ran the 'Detect and Repair' to see if that would help and it did nothing/found nothing. I have logged out and come back in and also tried rebooting and it still does the same thing whether I do a 'arrange by' or a 'Customize Current View'.

I hope someone can help me here! This is turning into a nightmare considering I need to use this for merges, etc and I don't even have 1/2 of my contacts entered into OL2003 yet (???)

Let me know if you need any other info and I will be glad to provide for you....

(taps her fingers on key board patiently waiting for a solution.....)

Judy
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Judy
external usenet poster

Default Sorting by categories problem

I figured this part out from my original post....

"I have well over 700 contacts in OL2003 (so far). When I do View/Arrange By/Categories it shows multiple categories in some of the sort and single categories (as it should) in others. Example: I have categories A, B, C,(etc). It will sort some by A alone, B alone, C alone however some of the sorts have combinations of A & B together or A & C or A, B & C together in the sort. In other words it is not showing 'all' of the A categories alone together. There will be a group of A & B below it.

FYI - The sort groups that are showing only one category DO have multiple categories within their individual contact screens so it is not as if there is a pattern that I can tell why the sort is showing some with single categories and some with multiple categories in the sort. (I hope this makes sense)"

When I went into these particular contact screens on the ones showing multiple categories in the sort I clicked on the 'Category' List and then clicked 'okay' and for some odd reason it took care of the problem and moved them to individual category sorts(??)

The ONLY thing I can think of is that I am exporting most of these contacts from an Excel file and it is allowing me to type the category names (I am using in OL2003) into a specified column in the excel doc and then export them to 'Categories' in OL2003 and it checks the applicable categories for me in the OL2003 category list. So it shows up in the category list correctly within the contact screen, however it was not sorting them correctly until I went into each of those particular contacts and clicked on the Categories lists and pressed 'okay' (??)

I am still having problems with the 2nd issue in original post regarding the View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current View/Filter/More Choices........

Thanks,
Judy

"Judy" wrote:

Windows XP, Exchange, Outlook 2003....

I have well over 700 contacts in OL2003 (so far). When I do View/Arrange By/Categories it shows multiple categories in some of the sort and single categories (as it should) in others. Example: I have categories A, B, C,(etc). It will sort some by A alone, B alone, C alone however some of the sorts have combinations of A & B together or A & C or A, B & C together in the sort. In other words it is not showing 'all' of the A categories alone together. There will be a group of A & B below it.

FYI - The sort groups that are showing only one category DO have multiple categories within their individual contact screens so it is not as if there is a pattern that I can tell why the sort is showing some with single categories and some with multiple categories in the sort. (I hope this makes sense)

Also, when I go into View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current View/Filter/More Choices and ask for only one category it brings up multiple categories that are not asked for. Example: I have a category called 'Directory' and another category called 'Directory Contact'. I go to View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current View/Filter/More Choices and choose 'Directory Contact' only. It pulls up the 'Directory Contact' contacts, however it also pulls up 'some' of the 'Directory' category contacts in the list also. None of the 'Directory' only contacts that are coming up in the list have the 'Directory Contact' category checked in their categories list. I have made sure that I check 'clear all' prior to running the filters.

I also ran the 'Detect and Repair' to see if that would help and it did nothing/found nothing. I have logged out and come back in and also tried rebooting and it still does the same thing whether I do a 'arrange by' or a 'Customize Current View'.

I hope someone can help me here! This is turning into a nightmare considering I need to use this for merges, etc and I don't even have 1/2 of my contacts entered into OL2003 yet (???)

Let me know if you need any other info and I will be glad to provide for you....

(taps her fingers on key board patiently waiting for a solution.....)

Judy

Old April 26th, 2005, 11:00 AM
CRMCathy
external usenet poster

Hi Judy:

Hope for your sake that you have resolved this by now - only just came
back here after a while! If you haven't, then try this:

For some reason, Outlook does not like the use of either single letter
words - eg Group "A" or ampersands "&" in the category names. It will
return multiple categories which are not relavant under any filter.

Change your "Group A" to "Group One", Group B to Group Two, etc, and
you will not have any problems. (The easiest way to do this, is by
selecting your Category view, using Shift to select all the contacts in
say Group A, right-click, and select "Categories", Go to the Master
Categoris, add the new category, click OK, and then deselect Group A
for those contacts, and check Group One.

Also, if you are doing a mail merge, DO NOT do this from the "By
Category" view, as Outlook will treat one contact as multiple records
if it has more than one category applied. (ie, if one contact has 3
categories, it will send 3 emails, or 3 letters - whatever you are
merging to.) Always do the mail merge from your Address Card view.

Problem solved! :-)

Judy wrote:
*Windows XP, Exchange, Outlook 2003....

I have well over 700 contacts in OL2003 (so far). When I do
View/Arrange By/Categories it shows multiple categories in some of
the sort and single categories (as it should) in others. Example: I
have categories A, B, C,(etc). It will sort some by A al
one, B alone, C alone however some of the sorts have combinations of
A & B together or A & C or A, B & C together in the sort. In other
words it is not showing 'all' of the A categories alone together.
There will be a group of A & B below it.

FYI - The sort groups that are showing only one category DO have
multiple categories within their individual contact screens so it is
not as if there is a pattern that I can tell why the sort is showing
some with single categories and some with multiple c
ategories in the sort. (I hope this makes sense)

Also, when I go into View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize Current
View/Filter/More Choices and ask for only one category it brings up
multiple categories that are not asked for. Example: I have a
category called 'Directory' and another category called
'Directory Contact'. I go to View/Arrange by/Current View/Customize
Current View/Filter/More Choices and choose 'Directory Contact' only.
It pulls up the 'Directory Contact' contacts, however it also pulls
up 'some' of the 'Directory' category contacts
in the list also. None of the 'Directory' only contacts that are
coming up in the list have the 'Directory Contact' category checked
in their categories list. I have made sure that I check 'clear all'
prior to running the filters.

I also ran the 'Detect and Repair' to see if that would help and it
did nothing/found nothing. I have logged out and come back in and
also tried rebooting and it still does the same thing whether I do a
'arrange by' or a 'Customize Current View'.

I hope someone can help me here! This is turning into a nightmare
considering I need to use this for merges, etc and I don't even have
1/2 of my contacts entered into OL2003 yet (???)

Let me know if you need any other info and I will be glad to provide
for you....

(taps her fingers on key board patiently waiting for a
solution.....)

Judy *

--
CRMCathy
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message901220.html