A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Contacts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

trouble importing from excel



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
GMcKenna
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default trouble importing from excel

I’m importing data from an Excel file into my contacts the problem is that
instead of putting all the information together under one contact i.e. name,
address, company etc. It separates each piece of information and records it
as a new contact so instead of 80 contacts with all the information I end up
with over 1000 contacts one that contains just the address another just the
name and so on and so forth. Any advice?
Ads
  #2  
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,988
Default trouble importing from excel

GMcKenna wrote:

I’m importing data from an Excel file into my contacts the problem is
that instead of putting all the information together under one
contact i.e. name, address, company etc. It separates each piece of
information and records it as a new contact so instead of 80 contacts
with all the information I end up with over 1000 contacts one that
contains just the address another just the name and so on and so
forth. Any advice?


Have you set up your named range appropriately for the import?
--
Brian Tillman

  #3  
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
GMcKenna
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default trouble importing from excel



"Brian Tillman" wrote:

GMcKenna wrote:

I’m importing data from an Excel file into my contacts the problem is
that instead of putting all the information together under one
contact i.e. name, address, company etc. It separates each piece of
information and records it as a new contact so instead of 80 contacts
with all the information I end up with over 1000 contacts one that
contains just the address another just the name and so on and so
forth. Any advice?


Have you set up your named range appropriately for the import?
--
Brian Tillman

Brian:

I belive so I named each individual colum in the excel speradsheet by
Insert/name/create - checked the- top row -box then clicked ok. Did I miss a
step?
Graeme
  #4  
Old December 7th, 2006, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21,988
Default trouble importing from excel

GMcKenna wrote:

I belive so I named each individual colum in the excel speradsheet by
Insert/name/create - checked the- top row -box then clicked ok. Did
I miss a step?


Check Help in Excel and read the topic "Share contact data between Excel and
Outlook" and its subtopic "Export Microsoft Excel names and addresses to
Microsoft Outlook"
--
Brian Tillman

  #5  
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
GMcKenna
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default trouble importing from excel



"Brian Tillman" wrote:

GMcKenna wrote:

I belive so I named each individual colum in the excel speradsheet by
Insert/name/create - checked the- top row -box then clicked ok. Did
I miss a step?


Check Help in Excel and read the topic "Share contact data between Excel and
Outlook" and its subtopic "Export Microsoft Excel names and addresses to
Microsoft Outlook"
--
Brian Tillman

Brian:

This is what I've already done what am I missing?????????? I've done a test
file with only two colums and it still seperates them . Im now enetring by
hand as I am now past a deadline.
  #6  
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 682
Default trouble importing from excel

#1 - Delete all of your existing "named ranges" (assigning one name to each
column is incorrect)
#2 - Create one named range that encompasses your header row (first row that
has the column names) and all data rows/columns.
#3 - Import into Outlook

or to avoid the entire issue of named ranges.....

#4 - Save your worksheet as a CSV file and import that file instead.

Karl
__________________________________________________ ___________
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com



"GMcKenna" wrote in message
...


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

GMcKenna wrote:

I'm importing data from an Excel file into my contacts the problem is
that instead of putting all the information together under one
contact i.e. name, address, company etc. It separates each piece of
information and records it as a new contact so instead of 80 contacts
with all the information I end up with over 1000 contacts one that
contains just the address another just the name and so on and so
forth. Any advice?


Have you set up your named range appropriately for the import?
--
Brian Tillman

Brian:

I belive so I named each individual colum in the excel speradsheet by
Insert/name/create - checked the- top row -box then clicked ok. Did I
miss a
step?
Graeme



  #7  
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
GMcKenna
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default trouble importing from excel

Karl:
Thanks so much for your help, got it, all is well happy holidays!
Graeme

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:

#1 - Delete all of your existing "named ranges" (assigning one name to each
column is incorrect)
#2 - Create one named range that encompasses your header row (first row that
has the column names) and all data rows/columns.
#3 - Import into Outlook

or to avoid the entire issue of named ranges.....

#4 - Save your worksheet as a CSV file and import that file instead.

Karl
__________________________________________________ ___________
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com



"GMcKenna" wrote in message
...


"Brian Tillman" wrote:

GMcKenna wrote:

I'm importing data from an Excel file into my contacts the problem is
that instead of putting all the information together under one
contact i.e. name, address, company etc. It separates each piece of
information and records it as a new contact so instead of 80 contacts
with all the information I end up with over 1000 contacts one that
contains just the address another just the name and so on and so
forth. Any advice?

Have you set up your named range appropriately for the import?
--
Brian Tillman

Brian:

I belive so I named each individual colum in the excel speradsheet by
Insert/name/create - checked the- top row -box then clicked ok. Did I
miss a
step?
Graeme




 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 OfficeFrustration.
The comments are property of their posters.