A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » Worksheet Functions
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

prevent div/0 error

Old March 15th, 2010, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Austin[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default prevent div/0 error

I am building a gradebook with limited knowledge of Excel. To get a weighted
percentage, I came up with this

=(I4/I$3)*0.05+(Y4/Y$3)*0.2+(AJ4/AJ$3)*0.2+(AU4/AU$3)*0.25+(AW4/AW$3)*0.05+(AY4/AY$3)*0.1+(BA4/BA$3)*0.15

However, the last few have zeros in the denominator (for example: BA3) as
there is no grade for them yet (exams, final projects, etc). How do I
exclude these from the formula to get a grade in the meantime until there is
a grade for the last few?

Thank You,
Austin

Old March 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dennis Tucker
external usenet poster

Take a look at the sample attached.

"Austin" wrote in message
I am building a gradebook with limited knowledge of Excel. To get a
weighted percentage, I came up with this

=(I4/I$3)*0.05+(Y4/Y$3)*0.2+(AJ4/AJ$3)*0.2+(AU4/AU$3)*0.25+(AW4/AW$3)*0.05+(AY4/AY$3)*0.1+(BA4/BA$3)*0.15

However, the last few have zeros in the denominator (for example: BA3) as
there is no grade for them yet (exams, final projects, etc). How do I
exclude these from the formula to get a grade in the meantime until there
is a grade for the last few?

Thank You,
Austin

Old March 15th, 2010, 05:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Héctor Miguel
external usenet poster

hi, Austin !

I guess you need to preserve the (non-contiguous) range-columns for your data layout (?), so...
I build a scenario using a helper range as follows:

[A1:G1] with the column (letters) and row 1 as text-data (I1;Y1;AJ1;AU1;AW1;AY1;BA1)
[A2:G2] getting the column numbers of the above, formula: =column(indirect(a1)) - copy-drag to the right
[A3:G3] getting the columns offset (starting @ 0), formula: =a2-$a2 - copy-drag to the right
[A4:G4] the percentage to apply to each grade (i.e. 0.05;0.2;0.2;0.25;0.05;0.1;0.15)

now, in "some cell" (row 4) I used this array-formula (commited with ctrl+shift+enter)

=sum(if(isnumber(subtotal(9,offset($i$3,,$a$3:$g$3 ))/subtotal(9,offset(i4,,$a$3:$g$3))),
subtotal(9,offset($i$3,,$a$3:$g$3))/subtotal(9,offset(i4,,$a$3:$g$3)))*$a$4:$g$4)

if any doubts (or further information)... would you please comment ?
hth,
hector.

__ OP __
I am building a gradebook with limited knowledge of Excel. To get a weighted percentage, I came up with this
However, the last few have zeros in the denominator (for example: BA3) as there is no grade for them yet (exams, final projects, etc).
How do I exclude these from the formula to get a grade in the meantime until there is a grade for the last few?