A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

How do I create magnetic poetry style boxes that fit around words?

Old January 9th, 2021, 09:51 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Jan 2021
Default How do I create magnetic poetry style boxes that fit around words?

Hi there,

I'm working on a special book of the correspondence I've had over the years with my wife, as a gift for her. I had an idea to include a magnetic poem I once wrote for her - you know, with those little squares and rectangles with words that you can stick on the fridge? The poem loses most of its charm if I just transcribe it into words, to the point that it's not worth including that way.

I can't print images in that section of the book, but I'm wondering whether I might be able to recreate the blocks around the words to give them the "magnetic poem" effect. Sort of like this (this isn't my poem; just an example):

https://imgur.com/5mNt2MI

But translated into boxes surrounding the words on Word. Are there different ways/approaches in which I could achieve this?

I noticed there's a feature called "Insert - text box" and tried that, but it creates a huge box that I then have to manually shape, and it seems like if I'm writing a lot of words and each have to be surrounded by a box of more or less the same proportions/width around each word, this would be a nightmare. Is there a way for a box to just appear around what I'm writing and adjust to the space of it, or even as I type?

It would also be great to be able to add shadows to the box for effect.

Any insight would be really appreciated; thanks so much!